This recipe is from Jamie Oliver‘s Jamie’s Italy. Sogliola in tre modi means roasted sole 3 ways. So, he obviously uses whole lemon sole (4 actually), but since I didn’t have that at my local market, and there was only 2 of us, I decided to use some fresh, wild caught Atlantic haddock fillets & cut the recipe in half. It worked out really perfectly. There are three options for dressing the fish, & I chose the tomato-basil one. Below I have written the recipe & options as it is in his book.
8 medium potatoes, peeled
a handful of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
a handful of black olives, pitted
sea salt & cracked pepper
4 Dover or lemon soles, scaled and trimmed
extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
a handful of wild arugula
4 ripe red tomatoes, sliced
8 anchovy fillets, sliced into strips
12 slices of pancetta, chopped
4 sprigs of rosemary, leaves picked
20 cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
4 springs of basil, leaved picked and torn
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees & select a roasting pan just big enough to hold all your fish side by side in one layer.
- Slice potatoes about 1/2″ thick, toss with a little olive oil, add the rosemary, olives, salt & pepper. Spread evenly in one layer in the roasting pan. Cover the pan tightly with tin foil & bake for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove foil and return pan back into the oven for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are lightly golden.
- Brush soles with a little extra virgin olive oil & season lightly. Remove pan from oven & lay fish side by side on top of the hot potatoes. Take your chosen topping ingredients and sprinkle them over the fish. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil & return to the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the fish is cooked & lightly golden.
- To serve, either scatter over a little olive oil-&-lemon-dressed arugula or have a mixed salad on the side. And maybe have some extra lemon wedges for squeezing over.